Saturday, January 23, 2010

TransAm Trail

DHS 73/100



I have been sitting on the fence on whether or not to ride the TransAmerica Trail (TransAm Trail) this summer, mostly for money reasons. Today i think i just moved a whole lot closer to committing myself to doing it, and am probably now about 80-90% certain that i will go. I'll run the numbers one more time to see what it will cost, but i'm thinking i can keep it to around $3,000.

Questions/Issues that remain:

  • Current thoughts are to start on May 1st and ride the ~4,200 mi. over ~80 days.
  • Do i fly to Virginia and then fly back to Chicago from Oregon? Or bus? Or train? (Cost driven)
  • Can i use any of my Frequent Flyer miles on Delta/Northwest or United to offset the price of the two tickets?
  • Do i take the bike with me when i travel or ship it UPS before hand? If so, to where?
  • How do i prepay 3 months of utility bills so i don't come home to a zero credit score from not paying them? How do i pay my property taxes early?
  • I will need to buy two front panniers, but i think i already have everything else, including rear panniers, handlebar bag, tent, sleeping bag, rain gear, and appropriate clothing. For the front panniers i'll probably buy some Ortlieb Sport Packer Classics to match the Back Packer Classics rear panniers and Ortlieb handlebar bag i already have.
  • Maybe i should buy an Ortlieb Rack Pack as well to hold the tent and sleeping bag? (Keeps them dry no matter what)
  • My bike already has 3 water bottle carriers, is that enough?
  • Do i need to buy a camp stove?
  • I'll need to buy some spare parts for the bike, like a foldable tire, some brake pads, brake/shifter cables, etc. Rear/Front light?
  • I used all my CashBack dollars from both credit cards this month to buy a solar charger for my phone/Reader/mp3 player. (Amazon is selling them for half-price) I have to see if i can use it to run my battery charger to recharge my camera AAs.
  • I'll need to buy a set of maps from Adventure Cycling Association. They're not cheap, at $165.
  • Will buy one of two books as i start planning: either Bicycling Coast To Coast or The Complete Handlebar Guide to Bicycling the TransAm.
  • I haven't figured out if, or how, i'll blog about the trip while i'm on the road. My phone is only an old Nokia 2610 but given that i'm Lao Bendan, it is a smart phone by my standards. However, i don't see yet how i can use it to blog more than 5 word entries.
  • I'll set up a small web site where i can post information, route, cost, packing lists, pictures, and other nonsense. Then, if i run across any internet cafes while on the road i can update that with some pictures, location, etc., in case the phone & blog idea doesn't work.
  • Do i stay in campgrounds where there will be showers? Or just off the road wherever i can pitch a tent? Some combination?
  • Do i stay in a cheap hotel once a month just for a break?
  • What to do about meals? Once a week in a restaurant and all others out of my panniers? Probably, but what food to pack? All cold food or do i try any cooking? (Adds weight and bulk but... oatmeal in the morning would be nice — taste and carbs — and instant ramen for lunch/dinner would be easy.)
  • Had the bike serviced just before the end of the year so it's ready now. Do i make plans to stop somewhere at about the 2,000 mile mark to get a tune-up while on the road?
  • I'll do a short 9-10 day training ride on the GIT at the end of March, beginning of April. This should also tell me if all the equipment is working OK.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

this is a blog we read often ...

http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

his recent post just might be helpful to you in a few ways.

Lao Bendan said...

Lydia,
Thanks for the great link!

I think i'm going to enjoy reading his blog. We seem to have several things in common -- i, too, think Paydays and M&Ms are two of man's best inventions.

And you're right, there is a lot of useful information for me to look over. Thanks again.