Monday, January 11, 2010

Success


DHS 61/100


I have long said that i consider myself rich, and know that i have been my entire life. It's true because i'm lucky enough to have a very simple definition is what that means:

  • Do i sleep under a roof each night that doesn't leak?
  • Do i know people that still call me a friend?
  • Do i have enough money at the end of each month to buy a beer if i want it?

I've been dirt poor a couple of times in my life, but those three conditions have always been true, and as long as they are, i am rich. This, to me, is the real meaning of "Think and grow rich." You are as rich as you think you are. I think that's a good definition, so i must be rich.

However, there has also been another definition that i have bantered about from time to time ever since back in my military days.


To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.


Ralph Waldo Emerson
or, Bessie Stanley
Depending on who you believe

How do you define success?

No comments: