Sunday, November 29, 2009

The World Outside

DHS 18/100




Time For A Walk

Time for a walk
   in the world outside
      and a look at who I am
Originally I had no cares
   and I am seeking
      nothing special
Even for my guests
   I have nothing
      to offer
Except these white stones
   and this clear
      spring water

Musō Soseki
Sun At Midnight: Poems And Sermons



Originally, no cares. Then life, and, well.... there goes the "no cares." In the mountains, in a monastery, in retreat, it's easy to get back to that. Search for nothing special. Let the greatest presents you can offer guests be reality. But, occasionally make the time to take a walk. Outside. Back to this mundane world were the rest of us live. Can you stay on the path or do you get lost? Here's where exams are administered. Who are you now?

No comments: