Sunday, November 15, 2009

Waiting


The Gate
I had no idea that the gate I would step through
to finally enter this world

would be the space my brother's body made. He was
a little taller than me: a young man

but grown, himself by then,
done at twenty-eight, having folded every sheet,

rinsed every glass he would ever rinse under the cold
and running water.

This is what you have been waiting for, he used to say to me.
And I'd say, What?

And he'd say, This—holding up my cheese and mustard sandwich
And I'd say, What?

And he'd say, This, sort of looking around.

Marie Howe


Just for a minute, maybe 30 seconds if you don't think you have the patience for longer, stop looking at your monitor and look around your surroundings. Don't focus on anything, but notice everything. Don't label anything, don't acknowledge knowing anything, don't pretend to understand anything, then relax your focus completely and look around again and feel everything.

This is what you've been waiting for.



DHS 4/100
(with a brush almost out of ink, but i was at the library so didn't have a spare cartridge)

No comments: