Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sitting

DHS 6/100


"Hey, Lao."

"Yeah?"

"You ever think much about it?"

"'Bout what?"

"It. You know, the big picture."

"You mean that big screen at IMax? I told you, i don't have the money to go."

"No, stupid, i don't mean the IMax, i mean it, everything, the big kahuna, the whole enchilada."

"Nope. Why? Don't tell me you believe all that stuff you've been reading..."

"No, of course not. (quietly sliding his copy of the Heart Sutra into his back pocket and out of sight) What do you take me for?"

"Then why you bugging me with stupid questions when i'm trying to take a nap?"

"I was just thinking. You know, how it says that this Kanjizai guy was practicing the Perfection of Wisdom, whatever that is, and then saw that the five aggregates are empty?"

"Jesus, just say it so i can get back to sleep."

"Well, after that it says he passed beyond all pain and suffering."

"Yeah?"

"And, well, i mean, that sounds kinda nice. I think. Doesn't it?"

"So, do it, for cryin' out loud. Is that what you woke me for?"

"How?"

"How what?"

"How do i do it?"

"Siggghhhhhh. (shifting into a sitting position) Listen, my friend, when was the last time you sat still for more than 41 seconds without turning the TV or radio on?"

"When i was too young to reach the TV remote on the coffee table."

"That's my point. Here, take this. (handing him the kitchen timer from next to his cushion) Set it for 30 minutes and go sit by the window. Pretend the window is a TV screen and just watch everything that passes across it. Don't think, just watch like you do at any other movie. Notice everything that's happening, but don't analyze any of it. See everything that appears, but don't try to label any of it. Just try to sit quietly. When you find yourself daydreaming, focus on the movie. When the timer dings, get up, grab a drink of water, go to the bathroom, and then go back and do it for another 30 minutes. Grab my cushion and sit on that. Then come back when the timer dings the second time."

"That's it? What about that practice this Kanjizai guy was doing?"

"Stop pissin' me off and let me sleep. Just go sit and don't come back for an hour.

1 comment:

Gold prices today said...

I do that, daily. I love sitting on the window and just observing movement of people around. Kids playing in parks, people out for walk and everything around.

Trust me it is always relaxing to sit quietly and observe others. Actually, my own things get out of my mind and i only think about what i look at.