Monday, August 22, 2011

Into The Water

Tonight I was going to write about what perceiving everyday mind throughout the entire world means to me. But, i'm reading on my iPad and not my laptop, so will write something tomorrow when I have my laptop (with it's bigger keyboard) out.

However, i'll throw out there that the thought on the tip of my tongue is a poem I posted a while ago:

The Swan
This clumsy living that moves lumbering
as if in ropes through what is not done,
reminds us of the awkward way the swan walks.

And to die, which is the letting go
of the ground we stand on and cling to every day,
is like the swan, when he nervously lets himself down
into the water, which receives him gaily
and which flows joyfully under
and after him, wave after wave,
while the swan, unmoving and marvelously calm,
is pleased to be carried, each moment more fully grown,
more like a king, further and further on.

Rainer Maria Rilke
Translated by Robert Bly


Dōgen said that unifying 'learning through the mind' with 'practice through our body' IS the perception of everyday mind throughout the phenomenal world. He didn't say that when we harmonize the practice of enlightenment with our body the entire world CAN be seen in its true form, he said it WILL be. Do we believe him?

Unity be damned
Doing that is laughable
Show me that i'll bow



Bowing low to that
It can not be unified
It is just bowing






No comments: