Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Siggghhhhh.....

Woke up Tuesday morning to find that neither Firefox nor IE will connect to the internet anymore. I didn't install anything that i can back out of, and both worked fine when i went to bed on Monday — AND every other application on the computer still connects with no problems; including Thunderbird, FileZilla, the Sony Reader app that connects to the Sony Reader Store, various program "update" functions, etcetera. It seems limited only to the browsers and http traffic. :-(

Computers, can't live without them, but can't help but hate them sometimes. So, until i figure out what to do, it looks like i'm back to books and only books for my entertainment. I suppose it could be worse, spending the day in my library is certainly no punishment, and coming to the public library every few days (i'm there now) gets me out of the house and gives me some exercise.

----
Edited later at night: Have finally narrowed it down to the Web Shield component of Avast! Free Antivirus. As long as that's not running all is well; turn in on and both browsers stop talking to the 'net. Still have no idea why it suddenly decided to start causing problems after working without a problem for over 5 months. I uninstalled & reinstalled Comodo Firewall and Avast! Free Antivirus, but the problem hasn't changed. Interesting.....

No comments: