Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Feeling Offal For What I Did, But....

Fell asleep this afternoon and slept for an hour. When i woke up, the only thing on my mind was ........ should i drive to Burger King now or wait until the news is over? Burger King? A hamburger? Dead cow meat for dinner? Where did that thought come from? This wasn't a passing thought that flickered by as i was waking up, it was an absolute certainty only waiting to be carried out.

I have been crying in my running log for several days about how incredibly tired i am of late. Early in the year i said that as i train for the Chicago Marathon i would run 5 days a week unless it killed me. These past few days i've been wondering if maybe life was seriously trying to take me up on that blatant dare.

Monday's log entry included this: "Miserable. Why? Heat? Humidity? Dehydration? Nutrition? Bad mood? Too much running? All? Combination?" And the last part of this morning's entry included: "I am just sooooooooooooooo tired. Why?"

On top of that, i just never, absolutely never, get food cravings. So where in "that place of very warm weather" did this craving for a hamburger (typed with sarcasm dripping all over the place) come from? Could my body be trying to say that the fatigue is, in part, a nutritional problem?

As sad as it is, i'm worried enough about my training that i gave in to the craving and went to Burger King as soon as the news was over. Whopper, fries, and a coke. It was terrible. The hamburger tasted like beef, the fries tasted like oil, and the coke tasted like sugar. As soon as i got home i wanted to cook some rice and stir fry some veggies like i eat the rest of the time, but knew i couldn't eat it even if i did so i just slumped in the chair in the living room and sulked at how weak i've become. :-(

Siggggghhhhhh...... what have i become?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Protein craving. You can add some lean protein to your diet and avoid the binge of BK.

Lao Bendan said...

I thought of that, while eating my burger, and you could be right, but i think i already get lots of protein.

I get protein *every* day with: my fat-free milk at breakfast; a second bowl of cereal (with more milk) as a snack many days after my run; peanut butter at lunch (either a PBJ or PB and banana sandwich); a tuna fish sandwich once or twice a week; a cup of fat-free yoghurt at lunch or dinner; a little cheese for an evening snack. In addition, when i say i eat rice and stir fried veggies for dinner, i didn't mention that that *always* includes tofu, some miso paste, and one broiled chicken breast. Then twice a week i throw in some kidney beans.

I eat another banana and about 2 apples every day as well, but those probably add no more than 1 more gram of protein.

I don't know where i'll be able to add more protein (i won't supplement), but can certainly try to see if you are right.

Thanks.