Monday, June 8, 2009

Running

I'm posting this not because i need anyone to see it, but because i'm hoping that by sending the words out to the unknown, i'll find some inspiration.

My running and training for the Chicago Marathon is going about as expected. I never have been very fast, and the best time i ever posted in the marathon is 3:58. I didn't bother to run the race the past few years, so this year's goals are modest. Anything under the 6:30 limit will be a success. Anything less than 5:30 will be good. My dream is to get something closer to 4:30 and that would leave me wildly ecstatic.

I've already shed 10 pounds in the past 5 months, and will go ahead and lose another 3 or 4 before i put a stop to it. I'm planning to run the race this year at around 171-172 pounds. For now, i don't particularly want to go under 170 pounds, but that could change once i get there and being that light makes my running that much easier.

My average times these past few months have been 10:09/mile (April), 9:51/mile (May), and 9:52/mile so far for June, although that will come down because i start hill work tomorrow and that lasts for six weeks. My current schedule is 8 mi on Monday, 2 mi warmup and then hill repeats on Tuesday, 7 mi on Wednesday, 5 mi (with occasional short sprints) on Thursday, and a longer run on Saturday. This week is 12 mi, next week is 13.

If you see me out on Division St. in the mornings, say hello. :-)

1 comment:

david hanley said...

You know you can match your best time ever, dave! You could do it if someone had a gun on you every day, right? Then it's physically possible! :)