Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Different Conversation Overheard

So, what are your goals anyhow?

Don't think i have any anymore.

Gimme a break. That's nonsense.

(shrug) Maybe, but it's true. At this point i figure i'm too old and too stupid to do more than i've already done, so why bother setting impossible goals.

Hey! You can't say that in public.

Why not?

Because people will thing you're stupid.

Yeah? And your point is?

My point is, you're not stupid, and your not too old so you have to have some goals. You've got them in every other area of your life.

Did i tell you i have an itch on my ass?

Huh???

Did i tell you i have an itch on my ass?

What.are.you.talking.about?

My ass itches so i scratch it. (scratching) That's my reality. It's 100% real for me and i have to do the only think i know of doing that relieves the itch. And that is admit it itches and scratch in public.

And your point is?

You don't feel the itch. You don't feel what i feel. So, when you see me react as i do, you judge me by what you are feeling, by your reality, by your current situation, and then tell me i shouldn't scratch in public.

No, what i'm saying is if it itches, scratch it, but not in public, or at least not up to the first knuckle. Most people might overlook a light brushing with the fingertips, but make it too obviously out of the norm and people think you're weird. You can be down about your job prospects, you can think bad thoughts about yourself, you can even admit that you see difficulties ahead, but you can't just come out and say that you are too old and stupid. Not in public. That's over the acceptable limit.

OK, what if i just say that given the current state of the economy, and given my lack of any pertinent job skills other than the ones i don't want to use anymore, and given the fact that age discrimination is a well known and well accepted fact of the workplace, i'm basically screwed. Can i say that?

You are sooo stupid..... No, i didn't mean that. I meant to say, you are so thick headed. Listen, except for that age discrimination part, you know none of that other stuff is important.

Ah, like i could use my accounting skills to run the cash register at Dunkin Donuts? Or i could use my property management skills to stock the shelves at the Speedway? That's what you're getting at? I see your point. Maybe you're right, i do have a future. (grin)

Don't make me mad. That's is not at all what i'm saying. I'm not talking about your next job, because you will have one, i'm talking about your goals. What you want to do, where you want to go, where you see yourself going in the future.

Turn your head for a second, my first knuckle has this strange feeling coming on again.

...

No comments: