Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's Time To Quit

In Houston, MO. Rolled into town at 9:30am and the next reasonable place to stop it much too far so this is where i'm spending the day and the night. I can not ride past about 11:00 with this heat. It will be a long day.

But that is irrelevant.......

I'm throwing in the towel. I can't take the heat and the forecast now says it will continue through next week. Kansas is worse than Missouri with daily temperatures above 100. I tried to ride all day on Tuesday and thought I might not finish alive. A motorist even pulled over and asked if I was OK; said I looked "distressed." Luckily, by that time I was less than 5 mi to the campground where I was going to spend the night. That was when I got smart and said no more afternoon riding.

So, the only thing left is to figure out how to get out of the middle of nowhere. I'm going to rent a car and drive home. But I have no idea where I can get one around here. I'll ask around but I may have to ride to Springfield, MO, and that is still about 3 days away, given I can only ride a third of the day.

I guess i'll just have to admit that not all dreams come true.

No comments: