Sunday, July 17, 2011

In The Hills

A brutal, brutal, murderously brutal day. It was hills all the way from Chester, IL, to Farrmington, MO. Oh, don't get me wrong, the scenery was spectacular, with rolling hills filled with farms, fields of corn, beans, or huge bales of hay and with a half dozen or more vineyards. Yes, I don't deny that it was beautiful, but insanely brutal. Because of the heat.

I walked up more hills today than I have in years. When it is this hot I just have no strength in my legs and today (and the next 3 days) are putting them to the test.

Even though I did walk up a lot of hills, I still rolled into Farmington at 2:00 and found a new "Inn" set up for riders of the TransAm. It's quite the spread and I wouldn't mind living here. Hardwood floors, plush leather furniture, Cable TV, Internet, wired and wireless, and air-conditioned. There's bunk beds for about 50 people but tonight there are only 4 of us — one solo rider and two Brits all heading East, and myself. Still haven't met any other west-bound riders but others tell me they are out there.

Except for in the hills i'm feeling good. My legs and shoulders are peeling badly from the burn they got on day one, but they don't hurt. Cardio-vasculurly i'm getting stronger each day and i think the quads are as well. But based on today, i could be in trouble when i get to Colorado and the Rockies. :-)

Tomorrow I ride somewhere around 38 miles to Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park. It's supposed to be nothing but hills. Up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, ...... well you get the idea.

No comments: