Saturday, August 15, 2009

What Can I Say.......

Used to be that when my head was all screwed up, time on my zafu straightened it out. That doesn't seem to work any more and i haven't even used it for anything more than a pillow for well over a week now. I find it funny, in a bizarre sort of "Dave T." way, that i have to use my ass to get my head right — goes a long way to explaining the connection between my brain and the other end of my anatomy.

I have decided to throw away about 18 years of my life. How's that for a decision! :-)

I have decided to give up fighting the world and just go back to what kept me happy when i was younger. Back then i was a loner, a complete and utter loner. As long as i had my bicycle, a backpack, and a pair of hiking boots i didn't need anything else from the world. Except a lot of good books, of course.

I think i gave it the good 'ol college try, but it seems to me that i'm the proverbial professional failure. After coming back from overseas in 1991, i tried to settle down and start a career; even went so far as to get an MBA (ha, now that's humorous). But, in hindsight, i've accomplished little more than a small pile of dog shit. So, rather than trying to be something i'm not, i'm going to do what i know i can do and am good at.

To that end, i spent Friday hiking at Starved Rock State Park (and loved every minute of it) and went to the book store today and bought a copy of 60 Hikes within 60 Miles: Chicago: Including Aurora, Elgin, and Joliet. From now on, once a month i plan to take a Friday and go explore a new trail, beginning with several more trips to Starved Rock to finish exploring all the trails and canyons there.

On the Fridays i don't leave town, i'll head out on my bike and explore more of the area around Lockport. Then, once the Chicago Marathon is over, i'll start spending more time in the saddle, and as soon as this recession is over, find a part time job here in Lockport to pay for some books and the gas to drive to the hiking trails.

Hiking, bicycling, and reading are singular pursuits. At least for me they always were. I guess that means i'm saying goodbye to a lot of people, so as i slowly start to disappear, don't take it personally and don't be surprised.

No comments: