Monday, January 7, 2013

Happy New Year

A belated happy new year to all. Hope all find the beginning of this new season starting off well.

I've been fishing around for some kind of new year's resolution to make, but find myself coming up empty handed this year. I won't say I live in a rut, but when I look up I see mostly dirt sometimes.

I've begun another year with the Bhagavad Gita; this year it's the "BG As It Is." I'll spend another year with the Shōbōgenzō. Of course, another year of meditating. I'll get back on my bike for another year in the saddle as soon as it warms back into the 40's. In the meantime I pedal my NordicTrac bike in the library four times a week while watching episodes of the Mahabharata on video. I'll start another year of running when April gets here. Kanji? Unfortunately, I just can not make myself committ to skipping a year so have begun another year through the flash cards. This year will also include Kanji Kentei cards as well. All I worry about are the 1,006 Shōgaku kanji anymore. Since I never use them they disappear almost as fast as I study them. I started a second year through Algebra Two and Precalculus texts so I'm ready for the few questions I get from a couple of the kids I tutor.

The only new things I can think of are I'm going to build a tansu for the kitchen this spring, I've committed to reading two Physics textbooks this year, and will spend several months with a set of video lectures on the BG by Swami Dayananda.

I lead a pitiful life, it seems. The good news is that I turn 60 in August. I've looked forward to this milestone for many, many years. I'm already getting excited. Goofy, I know, but that's me. My current plans are to ride my first, and only, century (100 mile ride) on my birthday. If you're near Lockport, feel free to join me. ;-) In February the Year of The Snake begins, and since I'm a Snake, I'm looking forward to good things.

So, from the bottom of my rut I wish all the very, very best over the course of 2013. Dream big, shoot for the seemingly impossible, imagine attaining the unimaginable, climb to peaks you thought unattainable, love everyone, have compassion for all, and leave deep butt prints in another zafu.

Happy New Year.

No comments: